Mckownville Methodist Church, built 1898.
A church for McKownville was first constructed here in 1866, on an
acre of land sold
in 1865 for this purpose by John McKown (1787-1870). This
first structure was replaced by the one pictured in 1898, the
original church being converted to a residence. This white church
gained an addition in 1928. A larger modern church just to the west
was completed in 1960. The first congregation was Methodist
Episcopal; in 1939 the church became the McKownville Methodist
Church. A parsonage was built on
Waverly Place in 1919, and the successive pastors occupied it
from 1920 until it was sold in 1968. Mrs Ida Manville, resident of
McKownville at 1438 Western Avenue,
and later on Arcadia Avenue, was the organist here for 55 years,
from 1896 to 1951. Historical information from a summary
of a 1966 booklet compiled for the 100th anniversary of the
church, in the W. Mohr archive
held by the Albany Pine Bush Preserve [contributed by Steve Rider].
Link to the McKownville Methodist Church website.
return to McKownville
older buildings photo index page
return to McKownville Improvement
Association index page