Barnes Lodge old photo
The Barnes Lodge (or Bungalow), built in 1909 on the top of the highest Pine Bush sand dune in McKownville, north of Waverly Place, adjoining the Albany Country Club grounds. It was designed by Marcus T Reynolds, a well-known Albany architect of the time. William Barnes used it as a retreat, in his political activities as Albany County Republican chairman, and editor/owner of the Albany Evening Journal. On losing control of the Albany political scene to the Democrats in 1921, Barnes sold this property. The Lodge was owned from 1923 until 1953 by Katherine L Perkins; her husband John Perkins was manager in the 1920's of Cottrell and Leonard, a quality mens and womens clothing store in Albany. From 1953 to 1965 it was the home of Donald F Noord, a local plumbing and heating contractor. As part of the property sales in the early 1960's connected with the replacement of the Albany Country Club by the construction of the uptown campus of the State University of New York at Albany, the Lodge and some of its grounds were acquired by the Capital Area Council of Churches. They repurposed the Lodge as an interdenominational chapel for students, calling it the "Chapel House".
It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in November 1982 under that name. On 26 May 1985 it was gutted by fire, and no visible trace remains, but it is still (in 2022) listed on the National Register (search for reference number 82001057).
Photo taken in 1966 [Jim Lund photo, Turnpike Record file, Guilderland Historical Society]
fire at
      the Chapel House 26 May 1985Fire at the Barnes Lodge/"Chapel House" 26 May 1985
Woods House
      interior viewBarnes Bungalow first
        floor plan thumbnail image
Fred Abele (Altamont Enterprise article 3 Nov 1983) claimed this was a photo of the Barnes House interior, but the two articles in the Turnpike Record by Joyce Durgerian published 8 December 1966, and 15 December 1966, say that it is of a nearby structure called the Woods House. Durgerian's first article contains a description of the interior of the Barnes Lodge, but we have not found photos definitely identified as showing parts of it. The original plan of the ground floor of the Barnes Bungalow shows a position and geometry of the staircases not compatible with this photo, so it is most probably of the Woods House interior, as stated by Joyce Dergerian.
[photo from the archives of the Guilderland Historical Society]

Judge John E Holt-Harris, who lived in a house built about 1949 in the original Barnes lot, nearer Waverly Place, and was a long-term trustee of the University, purchased at different times parts of Barnes original 5 acres and of the adjacent "Nicholas Lane" property, preserving them purposefully as a largely wooded natural area in the residential neighborhood of McKownville. This greatly valued neighborhood amenity is now owned by the University at Albany, and the potential threat of the destruction of this woodland has been strongly protested by residents and has been the subject of a formal statement and resolution by the Guilderland Town Board.

return to McKownville older buildings photo index page
return to McKownville Improvement Association index page