1 McKown Road, a Queen Anne-style house, one of the few pre-1900
structures still standing in McKownville.
This house was originally built at the eastern corner of McKown Road
and Western Avenue, and had the address of 1436 Western Avenue; in
1948-49 it was moved to its present location, replaced in 1950 by
the utilitarian brick automobile service station still to be seen at
The house was built originally for William McKown about 1887; an
almost identical house was built in 1890, the two facing each other
across the intersection of McKown Road and Western Avenue (the other
house, 1438 Western Ave, was
destroyed in 1981).
This house in its original location was occupied by William McKown
and his family (his first wife Lavina died in 1890, and his second
wife Rachel in 1896). He and his two youngest daughters, Anna and
Eva, lived in this house to his death in 1924; the two sisters
continued to live here until they sold it, around 1947-8, and moved
into the city of Albany.
Alfred Strassburg bought the house in 1950, after it had been moved
onto its new foundation. He died in 1968; his widow Mary continued
to live in the house into the 1990's. At present, it is divided into
two rental units.
There are traces on the internet (including the Town
of Guilderland GIS property map) that this house is on the
National Register of Historic Places. It seems that it was proposed
for entry, but that Mary Strassburg objected when the proposal was
made in 1979, so it has never been included in the official
register. It did get entered onto the historic register of NY
return to McKownville
older buildings photo index page
return to McKownville Improvement
Association index page